The Students of Color Network was established in the spring of 2001 to provide a support network for graduate students of color in the Student Affairs in Higher Education (SAHE) graduate program. The Students of Color Network also seeks to identify issues and concerns specific to students of color in the SAHE graduate program, with an emphasis on open communication and flexibility around the needs of the students. The Students of Color Network works to affirm the intersecting identities of students, not just around race and ethnicity, thus it is an open space welcome for all identities students may share.
The objectives that the Students of Color Network seek are:
* To promote the infusion of diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice into the SAHE course curriculum
* To develop strategies to retain and recruit students of color in the graduate program
* To identify ways to provide academic and social support for students of color in the graduate program
* To provide a forum and support network to assist with job search in the field of student affairs and to discuss any job search-related issues
* To provide an outlet to celebrate cultures and customs through social events